Iowa dentists need to renew their license and permits by August 31. Licensees will receive a reminder from the Iowa Dental Board (IDB) sent to their last-known email address.
What will you need for renewal?
- Login information for the Iowa Dental Board portal. Information on retrieving your user id and/or password are available on the IDB website.
- A completed application available within the portal after July 1. All materials and fees required for renewal must accompany the renewal application for it to be considered fully submitted. To avoid late fees, completed renewals must be submitted by 11:59 PM on August 31.
- Renewal fee of $315 plus the fees for any permits you may be renewing.
- General anesthesia permit renewal: $125
- Moderate sedation permit renewal: $125
- At least 30 hours of board approved continuing education between September 1, 2020, and August 31, 2022, including:
- Evidence of mandatory reporter training for child abuse and dependent adult abuse within the required timeframe for those who practice in Iowa. Training is available through the Iowa Department of Human Services.
- CPR – up to 3 hours and course must include “hands-on” and clinical components. Note: If the CPR recertification was completed in 2020 or 2021, the hands-on component was waived.
- Minimum of 1 hour in infection control.
- Minimum of 1 hour in jurisprudence. Take the IDB free course.
- Minimum of 1 hour on opioids for any dentist who has prescribed opioids to a patient during the biennium renewal period.
- 6 hours of sedation for any dentists who hold a deep sedation/general anesthesia or moderate sedation permit. These hours may also be applied to the renewal of your dental license.
REMEMBER: For the 2022 renewal cycle, the limit on self-study activities has been increased from 12 hours to 18 hours. Live webinars or activities where learners may directly engage with the speaker are considered live activities.
If you have any questions regarding renewing your license or permit, please contact the IDB at 515.381.7030.
Need additional CE credits, please consider the following resources: